Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Weight Loss and Motherhood

My weight has fluctuated my entire life. I was never fat but I was never skinny. My weight crept up in my mid20s and I'd fight to bring it down a little but then I fell in love with running and spent the rest of my 20s a skinny little minnie who could eat whatever she wanted.

And then I became pregnant with Emily. I had been told since I was 19 years old that I was infertile and could possibly get pregnant with invitro.  So imagine my surprise when the doctor told me I was pregnant. Eck gawds! How did that happen!

And my family and friends were escatic (the farmer and I too but we were also still in shock). So people told me I couldn't keep running. So I stopped. But I still ate like I was a runner. And then my girlfriend who I worked with would go down to the store at lunch and bring me back mashed potatoes with gravy and my all time favorite cheese potatoe chips with creamy coleslaw (yeah okay so that one is a little weird but boy is it good!).

I tried starting to exercise again after Em was born but being a new mother, just adjusting to motherhood was hard enough. With Connor I didn't lose any weight but I didn't gain any extra and with my last I gained an extra 35 pounds.

Luckily at 5'7" I've always been able to carry extra weight but now I want to lose 60-65 pounds. I started exercising which is still hard with three little kids but my biggest struggle is food.

I. LOVE. FOOD.

Another blogger shared her weight loss struggles and stories and her success with a program called Lose It! So I signed up. It's been a week and I really like the program.

It similiar to weight watcher which I've done in the past. It's a free program that allows you to keep track of your calories and exercises. It also gives you a "Nutrient Report" showing where your calories are coming from. For me, that's helpful because I tend to ignore carbs (good and bad) which isn't a good thing when dieting so it reminds me to add in a little more good carbs.

Having a program like this is important to me because it holds me accountable for every little bite I put into my mouth. I stop and think about whether I really want it to count and sometimes if I do want to count it means giving up something else during the day.

Being accountable also keeps me from munching on the kid's leftovers!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment