Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Apple Slices and a little mommy tenderness


This is my Gramma Betty's recipe. You gotta love those old bitty recipes cause they call for things like lard and a cup plus of sugar. I also love how she writes out recipes...straight out of her head like she's making them. But boy oh boy is this one good. Words in ( ) are me.

Apple Slices
2 1/2 c floud
2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup lard (or shortening)
Mix like a pie crust.
1 egg yoke in measuring cup and enough milk to make 2/3 cup liquid. Add to crust.
Roll out 1/2 to fit cookie sheet (I like mine thicker so I make in a 9x13 pan). Add 2 handfuls of crush corn or wheat flakes (I just frosted flakes since that's what I had on hand...nothing like upping the sugar ratio!).
Add sliced apples on top. (I just put a nice thick layer and I cut mine about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. My grandma makes hers really thin but she has more patience then me.)
Mix 1 cup sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon and sprinkle over apples. (I keep about 1/4 cup out and sprinkle over top layer).
Roll other 1/2 for top crust.
Place over pan of apples and crust one beat egg white and spread over crust. (This is when I sprinkle on the rest of the cinnamon sugar).
Bake 40 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from overn and pour glaze over top by adding water to 1 cup powdered sugar.


And my mommy tenderness moment...getting to see my baby crawl for the first time! Ugh at 6 1/2 months! Yikes!

I didn't get to see my first two crawl. I didn't get to see Emily takes her first steps. I did get to see Connor take his first steps (at 9 months old...yikes!!).

This is little man playing on the floor with me last night. He's been going about a three days now and is starting to get pretty good.

I do love his smile...gets me every. darned. time.

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. These old recipes are the best! Thanks for participating in the Applle Harvest Party!!

    ReplyDelete