Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pancake Mix and Chicken Stock

Like my newfound experiences with making yogurt, pancake mix and chicken stock are two simple things that I've always bought, when making both is easy and much, much cheaper (and better for you).

I think the reason I don't can chicken stock is that I don't have the freezer space to freeze the stock so I have to can it. But canning it requires me to go up to the attic and bring down the pressure canner (if anyone knows how to do it in a hot water bath, I'll love you forever!) to do 3-4 quarts of stock.

But this weekend I did it. I roasted two chickens the other day so went ahead and made stock after I deboned the chickens. It was more work getting the pressure cooker than it actually was making and canning the stock.


Forgive the coloring. Trying to take a picture in Wisconsin in the middle of winter does not make for good picture quality.

I've also been messing around with trying to find a pancake mix my family will like. I think we'll stick with this for awhile and I'll slowly work out the white flour and sugar (or substitute Stevia?). My kids love pancakes so I know there will be a definate cost savings in me making our mix versus buying the mix. This recipe will fill a gallon jar.


Pancake Mix:
5 cups whole wheat flour
5 cups white flour
2 cups milled flax seed
1/2 cup baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
4 tsp. sale

Pancake Batter:
1 1/2 cup mix
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
dash vanilla and cinnamon

If you're like me and very rarely have buttermilk, here's a quick way to make your own at home.

Buttermilk:
1 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice and fill with milk to 1 cup

Anything else I should be making instead of buying???

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year Lisa. I just found your blog and you drew me right in (and me with a snink full of dishes). I came across your site as I was looking for soup recipes - love soup in the winter.
    I too make a pancake mix and keep it in the freezer. Got the recipe a looong time ago off the FlyLady website. You might want to give it a look.
    I'm off to those dishes, but I'll be back for another visit.

    ReplyDelete