Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Ham and Bean Soup

Yesterday was a perfect day for soup around the farm since it was snowing and blowing and downright chilly outdoors. I also wanted something frugal since finances are tight right now. I settled on a recipe I found in our church's cookbook called Bean with Bacon Soup. Then when I stopped at the grocery store and almost cried at the price of bacon, decided to pick up a ham steak and go from there. Then since I don't have chicken bouillon, decided to use some chicken stock, and instead of canned tomatoes, used some leftover fresh tomatoes with green onions from the previous night's fajitas and used canned beans because I didn't have dried navy beans. So then I renamed the soup Ham and Bean Soup.

Ham and Bean Soup
2 cans white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 ham steak, trimmed and diced
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 large tomatoe, diced
4 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

Saute ham steak, carrots, onions, and celery (depending upon how much trimming you did you may need to add a little olive or vegetable oil). Add chicken stock, water, spices, tomatoes and beans. Simmer 1-2 hours. Serve!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment