Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

What's been cookin' in our kitchen today.

Whew, I don't remember doing that much cooking in a LONG time but we did make some of my favorite stuff for a trip to the cabin this weekend.

I made chicken salad with whole wheat pasta, grilled chicken breasts, red grapes, apples, green onions.


We made lemon curd and sugar cookies. Oh my how I love lemon curd. This would also be really good in a pie shell with a little whipped cream or even angel food cake.

Lemon Curd
6 large lemons, zested and juiced
2 cups sugar
8 eggs
1 cup butter, melted

Put zest and sugar into food processor and combine. Add lemon juice and eggs. Slowly add butter. Cook in double boiler until thick and sugar has desolved.

This will make 1 quart and can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. I have read that you can process lemon curd in a presser cooker for 10 minutes. Haven't tried that but might if I find a good deal on lemons this summer!


Texas Cavier

1 15 oz. can chick peas (drained and rinsed)
1 15 oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 10 oz. cans Rotel tomaotes (I use one with green chilies and one with line and cilantro. You could also use fresh tomatoes and add a little cilantro and lime juice)
1 medium onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 cups frozen can
Italian dressing to coat

I usually make a day before because it's even better when
everything has sat together for awhile!


My mom gave me this recipe for rhubarb bars which typically
I don't like but these are so yummy! I made this for church but didn't get a picture before I dropped it off.

Rhubarb Bars

3/4 cup butter
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar

Crumble, put in 9" x 13" pan and bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

5 cups rhubarb
5 eggs yolks
2 cups sugar
4 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup milk

Mix and pour onto crust. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

5 egg whites
12 tsbp. sugar

Beat egg whites, add sugar and spread on top of baked mixture.
Bake 15 minutes or until gold brown.

I also made banana bread and banana muffins and we had homemade baked beans for dinner with chicken salad and short ribs on the grill. Oh heavens did I have to have a long walk tonight!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment