Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Mary Mary Quite Contrary

How does your garden grow?
With sunshine and rain
And Kisses and Hugs.
That's how my garden grows.

At least that's how Emily and I have been singing it.

Good thing that since it's almost summer, spring has decided to come around. Thursday the kids and I bought plants for the garden so we could plant today. However, it rained and we had graduation parties to attend so planting will have to wait until tomorrow.

Summer in Wisconsin also means garage sale season and the kids and I did that yesterday. I had some great finds. One lady had two girls a couple years older than Em and boy did we score the summer clothes! Em and I also found a dollhouse (with furniture!) for $15.

I picked asparagus this afternoon and since we've been eating some fresh already, I decided to freeze some for this winter. It's such a lovely treat to have with omelets when it's cold and snowy in January!!

I also had some strawberries and Em helped me make strawberry sauce tonight. I told her we could have some for our pancakes in the morning. I have a feeling I'm going to have to make a lot of this!


Strawberry Sauce
3 quarts strawberries
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Cut and roughly mash the strawberries (ours will still quite fresh so I put 3/4 cup of sugar in to help mash).
Put water into saucepan and add remaining 3/4 cup sugar and stir until dissolved.
Add half of strawberries into saucepan and cook for approximately 10 minutes (I mashed them down some more while they were cooking)
Add remaining strawberries and cook for additional 5 minutes.
Fill half pint jars and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

These are going to be great over pancakes or angel food cake and Em wants to try over ice cream. See, I'm definately going to have to make a lot more!

Blessings,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment