Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Sleepsack for baby

I've finally gotten around to do some sewing for the baby. Because, well, he'll be here in about 3 weeks. Awhile ago, I bought Anna Maria Horner's Handmade Beginnings books and fell in love with just about every project in there. There other night I made the Sleepsack using material I had on hand...some blue ooga booga and some plain white flannel for the inside. I also used snaps instead of velcro. Only because I love love love my snap press and hate picking lint out of velcro.


I loved how fast this went together. It was really a quick and simple project. I even made the bias tape with some cotton woven I had in my stash.

The only thing that confused me was putting the lining and outside pieces together. For some reason, I couldn't wrap my head around how to sew the fronts to the back at the shoulder seam and then still have the shoulder seams turned in. After cutting the front pieces twice and still not getting it, I left it with the shoulder seam being exposed on the lining piece (but I'll be the only one who ever notices it!).

I also added 4 inches to the length. The pattern dimensions are 22 inches and well, my last baby was 21 inches so we need the extra length.  :)

Now off to finish a couple more projects before the baby is born. For sure I need to finish a diaper bag because I sold our at a garage sale before we knew we were pregnant!

I was also able to finish a cover for the changing pad. When we were cleaning out the "new" toy room, we found the changing table pad in there but it no longer had the cover. I looked for a new cover on the internet and found one at Target for $19.99! $19.99!! For a piece of material 35" x 23" and some elastic!!! I made one today in under 15 minutes. I could have spent more time on it making the contours and cutting out the corners but this was so quick and easy. I had a fleece blanket from one of the other kids I had put into the diaper material bin that was 36"x24" and simply tacted down elastic around the outer edge.


But I think it will easily serve it's purpose of keeping baby from having to lie on the cold vinly during our chilly winter months!  :)

1 comment:

  1. your sack looks great! i'm about to make one for my little girl and i love your idea of snaps instead of velcro. i think i will do that too. congrats on the birth of your little boy!! :)

    ReplyDelete