Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Dinner at the farm

I love when people post their menus for the week because it gives me inspiration. However, I am not a menu planner. In high school, I had a friend who every Sunday night, picked out all her clothes for the week and hung them on hangers. I asked her once what happened if she didn't feel like wearing that for the day. Her response was but that's the outfit for the day.

Cooking dinner is like outfit planning. I know everything that I have in my kitchen and work around it. When I grocery shop, I always buy the basics, plus whatever else I think would be nice for the week. For example, if I see a recipe for fish tacos, I'll put the ingredients I need on my shopping list and figure sometime during the week, I'll make them.

If you came to dinner at the farm, this is most likely what I'd feed you (lunch is sandwiches, leftovers, or you're on your own so ALWAYS plan to come for dinner).


Roasted chicken, dilled green beans, saurekraut, lettuce salad with apples, radishes, and hard boiled eggs. The kids passed on the green beans and saurekraut and had corn. In the winter, we'd add bread and put out butter, homemade jam, and honey or maybe cornbread or some brown or wild rice.

And with the exception of the apples and salad dressing, everything was raised or grown on the farm. I'm very proud of that.

Tonight you'd even get dessert. Strawberry rhubarb cake for the adults (recipe tomorrow). Berries of choice with whipped cream and sprinkles for the kids.


I roasted two chickens today. The leftovers will go for lunches or added into other meals throughout the next couple of days. Shredded chicken with fruit and cottage cheese is a favorite lunch for the kids and we may have chicken tacos one night or a chicken salad with lots of veggies and fruit with crusty french bread.

Now I have to go hide the cake before I eat another piece!

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. That dinner and dessert looks great and how awesome that most of it was from your farm. That is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete