Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Natural Lip Balm

For Christmas, my daughter and I made homemade bath products for gifts to give to teachers, grandmas, aunts, and friends. Part of our gift baskets include homemade lip balm. This is definately something that can be done with a child...but only on a day when you have lots of patience.  :)

After researching many different recipes and ordering different oils and wax, I came up with a recipe that I and my family and friends loved. It includes Avocado oil, soy wax, candelia wax, jojoba oil, almond oil, vitamin E oil and essential oils for fragrance.


You can also get the little metal tins for storing lip balm in. I think the next time I need tubes, I will try the tins. I think they would be much easier to clean for reusing. The recipe we made at Christmas was Cherry Blossom and Kiwi. Even the men were asking for their own tubes after trying some and also requested some that wasn't so fruity. So another batch will be cooked up before Easter along with some homemade body butter.

Living self-sufficiently definately can be luxurious!

Blessings,
Lisa

Recipe
4 ounces avocado oil
3 oz. soy wax
2 oz. candelia wax
1 oz. jojoba oil
1 oz. sweet almond oil
1/2 oz. Vitamin E oil
20 drops of essential oil of choice

Melt soy and candelia wax together and mix in oils until blended. Add essential oil. Pipe into tubes and let cool. Chap and enjoy!!
*Place tubes in freezer for 30-60 minutes before adding lip balm into containers if using plastic tubes.