Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Apple Pie in a Jar

A few weeks back, Sparing Change had a recipe for Apple Pie in a Jar. She's currently doing a gift series called 25 Weeks 'til Christmas about making homemade christmas presents. It's pretty cool and filled with lots of fun ideas. Like this week's Wire Candlestick Holders which I'm pretty sure I'll be making some for me for christmas decorating.

Anyways, I had some apples to use up so decided to play around with this recipe because it sounded absolutely delicious.

And it is delicious. Like lick your fingers delicious.

Apple Pie in a Jar

4 1/2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch (originally calls for 1 cup but 1/4 cup worked just fine)
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
10 cups water

I started by mixing together the ingredients above and bringing to boil. When it reached a boil, I reduced heat and let simmer and bubble until it was a nice, thick, goey consistency.

I cleaned and sterilized 8 quart jars and peeled and cubed apples until the jars were nice and filled up tight. Then I ladled the sauce over the apples and processed 30 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Then I had one jelly jar of sauce left over so I cut up an apple and stood in the kitchen dipping apple slices into it and then licking my fingers while making yum sounds to turn around and find the farmer leaning against the fridge with a smirky smile on his face. So I gave him a bite and he said, "Boy that's good." Then I went to wash my hands and came out of the bathroom to find the Farmer dipping apples and licking his fingers.

So yeah, it's really that good. 


It would be cute with a little ribbon and tag on it.

Or if you're like me and not sure if you want to share...try it over cheesecake.

Oh yeah, that's what I'm thinkin'.

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. I haven't gotten to canning apple pie filling yet. I have two trees and they are bursting. Hopefully I'll be able to can them this coming weekend. Yours look wonderful and so much time saved later on.

    ReplyDelete