Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

The Deer Holiday

While most of the country just finished celebrating Thanksgiving, here in Wisconsin, we just finished deer hunting. Thanksgiving is just that big meal right in the middle of deer hunting where hunters will come out of the woods for a big meal, after which they watch football and/or nap. Sometimes they even dress up...but typically it's a sea of bright orange and flannel shirts at Thanksgiving dinner.

The Farmer got a deer this year. On the last day, right before I needed to leave for work. And then the Farmer worked a lot of hours last week so we've been slowly trimming this deer for the last week. I would not make a good butcher. It involves a lot of patience doing all that trimming. Finally, Saturday I'd had enough and took the last two shoulders and put them on a rack and cookie sheet, covered them with seasoning and let them bake at 300 degrees for 4 hours.

WOW. YUMMY. Tender and juicy with a nice crust on the outside. I started shredding it and soon the Farmer and the kids were standing at the stove pulling pieces of meat off to eat. That is definately a sign that something turned out good.

After I shredded it, I portioned it into two cup freezer bags and labeled. I've done this with chicken backs and necks after butchering and it's nice to have around for quick meals.

Then the Farmer informed me that there is a doe season this weekend...sigh.  :)

Since I don't have any pictures of the deer, here's one of my kidlets with Santa with weekend and two of the kidlets playing in the snow...which it's been doing here all weekend and still snowing today.


Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Oh ya....my husband will be out looking for the doe also :-) I'm sure he'll come home with the doe...the big buck eluded him this year. I'll be canning a lot of it.

    Loved your description of bright orange and flannel around the Thanksgiving meal table...that's about right :-)

    ReplyDelete